Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Turkish Delight ( just one of many)...

First there are those magnificent sights and sounds that pull you in, the moment you step a foot in that magical land they call Turkey ...and if that is not enough to keep you rivetted, there's always the mind-boggling array of goodies from textiles to ceramics...from glassware to spices..that keep calling your attention wherever you may look. It is literally impossible to come back fully satisfied from a trip to Turkey,  for even if you have an extra bag full of your shopping treasures, you are well aware that you have only just scratched the surface...and it is this sense of having left something behind...an exquisite suzani..an antique kilim, perhaps.. that'll take you back once more. I know I'll have to go back some day...but in the meantime I'll just enjoy some of my lovely finds..my beautiful acquisitions..

This glorious Suzani for one...





The beautiful pattern in rich vibrant colors (the purple is much deeper than it looks in the images) and the exquisite hand embroidery is even more stunning in person...







It's an old piece made by the local women in Cappadocia. It needs some finishing touches..a border and a backing, perhaps..but I couldn't resist putting it out on my bed for Diwali...I think it has all the makings of a family heirloom...




all images via maison marigold

3 comments:

Neha@ All things beautiful said...

It looks LOVELY, Meenal!
Gorgeous find:)

GB said...

Oh it's gorgeous! Love how well it pairs with your pillows too--not matchy-matchy, yet perfectly coordinated!

helen tilston said...

Hello Mena

This is a treasure and such a beautiful souvenir of your trip to Turkey
Helen xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...